Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Experiment Smile

Since I'm very frustrated with high strung Jordanians, and it always drives me insane how people here are always frowning and on the verge of starting a fight. I decided to break the rules and smile at random people, mainly strangers, whenever I can.
from my observations so far, i might want to change the name to : "Operation Freak People Out"

simply what I do is just smile at strangers. it will cost me nothing, well, actually maybe a few wrinkles. here we go:

0825 in front of my house: I saw the garbage collector and smiled, he did a double take, froze in his tracks and then turned around and walked so fast as if possessed. I guess I scared the hell out of him.

08:30 at the bank parking lot: I smiled at the parking lot guard, he looked down and handed me my ticket. I said thank you, he did not respond and kept looking down. hmmmm.. by now I'm thinking is there something on my face?
08:32 inside the bank: first victim, the guard.. he actually smiled back and then looked very confused. then started looking around him as if embarrassed (maybe he thought I was hitting on him or something) second victim the teller lady, she buried her face in her paperwork, then looked slowly up and then back again (imagine peekaboo).. later on I went downstairs to get some paperwork done and one of the guys down there was staring so hard at me. so I smiled at him. he actually frowned and gave me a death stare. yikes
0845 - 08:59 smiling at random people while driving. no one smiles back.. no one. not one person. people either look down or have a confused look on their faces. my favorite is when guys think I'm hitting on them and they change their posture or actually wink. ewwwww.


here's my point (I think I have a point). now I'm seriously thinking what is wrong with people? I mean what do they lose if they just smile back? I'm really not asking for anything. just move a few tiny little muscles in your face and yay, you are human.

the one thing that only the human species on this planet can do is smile. Come on People. Yalla,. I know you want to. come on.. SMILE for God's Sake.

7 comments:

7aki Fadi said...

"Operation Freak People Out".

HAHAHAHAHAHA. da7akteeny. You are brave, I would be scared to smile at people in Amman especially since the first thing they will think is I am hitting on them, ewwwwwwwwww.

Good post sis :D .

Razan Khatib said...

I hear you sista!

I do that from time to time, but i don't usually get those absurd reactions, people do smile back and say thank you.

Mabrouk za blog :-)

Dreamy Villager said...

I did that once when I was at college..it was not that bad.. but people didn't react very friendly..they smiled back but they were "Ibtisamat Safra2" :-\

NeverMind said...

7aki: thanks sis

Razan: I will try again another day and see if the reactions are different. Thanks.

Dreamy Villager: yeah, I hate those ibtisamat Safra.

Hamza said...

looooooooooool. AT least you did something about it and smiled.

if I were there, I could have joined you in your campaign of "spreading the smile". :D

KJ said...

Monkeys smile too, actually :D and so do clowns.

NeverMind said...

Hamza, tell me about it. I feel so proud of myself.. now I'm walking around like an idiot smiling all the time because I got used to smiling. someone turn me off please before I get in serious trouble.

KJ: LOOOOL @ clowns.. monkeys I kind of understand but Clowns?